...personal blog about my experiences of living, raising a family, and serving as a messenger of the good news of Jesus Christ in Taiwan. Comments are always welcome.

Monday, November 10, 2008

You Gotta Dress For The Weather

Fall weather has truly arrived here in Taiwan the past few days, with a wonderful cool front moving in to lower the temperatures. Last night the mercury dipped to 18 C, and today's high was 22 C. For a Canadian who grew up in northern Manitoba, now living in Taiwan, this brings more joy than I can express!

What I always find funny this time of year, when the first "cold snap" moves in, is to see the reaction of the Taiwanese. 22 C weather means all the Taiwanese on their motorcycles and scooters suddenly don their winter parkas, mitts and scarfs. For me, it means that for the first time in about 7 months I've finally felt comfortable without the aid of fans or air conditioning. I chuckle as I pull up alongside others at a stop light. They immediately look over to see what idiot is dumb enough to drive a scooter in such frigid temps, wearing only a T-shirt and summer shorts. Then they see my beard and foreign face and say, "Oh yeah. American!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey there, I'm gonna be headin' to Taiwan in like a day's time, any tips on the weather and perhaps how to dress?Cos all that fluctuating forecasts aint much of help
I'm Singaporean, thus probably a scaredy for cold. . Plsss... I need help!!!

Many thanks!!
Gina

Unknown said...

Hi Gina, just bring layers. The sun during the days can still feel quite warm, so you may want a light shirt or two. If you're going to be mostly in Taipei, expect more clouds, though. Definitely bring some kind of heavier jacket and/or wind-breaker. The evenings and nights can get cold. Sweaters and long sleeve pullovers are a must, since you are Singaporean, as you say. I'm Canadian so I still go around in just a T-shirt most days.

Enjoy your time in Taiwan!!