...personal blog about my experiences of living, raising a family, and serving as a messenger of the good news of Jesus Christ in Taiwan. Comments are always welcome.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

H1N1 - Our Numbers Came Up

Well, it finally happened. The H1N1 (swine flu) pandemic finally caught up with our household. Our youngest daughter was confirmed with it this past Sunday, and of course is home from school this whole week. This means that the rest of our family is technically "quarantined" as well. Our son must also stay home from school this week, even though at this point he is "healthy as a fiddle" (whatever that means). The rest of us are discouraged from going out, unless absolutely necessary.

I went for an H1N1 "rapid test" at the local health clinic, and the result was negative, even though I feel like crap and am pretty sure I have it. I learned later that these rapid tests are horribly inaccurate, though I'm glad my youngest daughter actually tested positive as it meant the doctor could give her the anti-viral medication, which seems to really be helping her. I, on the other hand, continue to suffer...... (start pity party music here).

Keeping the kids on task with their school work is proving a challenge, and we are trying not to think too far ahead should our son (whom my wife and I affectionately at times refer to as "the boy") come down with it this weekend and then have to miss a second week of school.

In any case, we will survive this. As they say in Hebrew, גם זה יעבור‎, (gam zeh yaavor), "This, too, shall pass."

No comments: