...personal blog about my experiences of living, raising a family, and serving as a messenger of the good news of Jesus Christ in Taiwan. Comments are always welcome.

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Anniversary Ends the Way Wedding Day Began - With a Trip to the Hospital

Added together, I've lived in Taiwan for over 5 years, but till last night had never had the experience of being transported by ambulance to a hospital emergency ward. But I'm getting a little ahead of myself.....

Anyone who was at my wedding 22 years ago (May 3, 1986) will surely remember that, other than marrying the love of my life, it was not a particularly good day for me. At 2:00 a.m. that day, I began vomiting violently. "Was I allergic to marriage?", I began to wonder. At 4:00 a.m. my best friend, and best man, drove me to the hospital. After receiving Gravol from the nurses by every means possible (injection, orally, and by enema), I stabilized enough by 6:30 a.m. to call my bride to be. "Where are you?", she asked. "In the hospital", I replied. Well, I did get married that day, but not without the help of a chair, which was needed half way through the ceremony, and a bucket strategically hidden behind the piano (which, fortunately, was not called upon).

Fast forward 22 years. Last night (Saturday, May 3, 2008)) Eileen and I got a babysitter and went out to a Chili's restaurant here in Taichung with another missionary couple in SEND who are also having their 22nd anniversary in a couple weeks. The dinner went well (best ribs in Taichung I've ever tasted). After the meal however, as we were just window shopping with our friends, I felt a bit light-headed, and felt like I had just a bit of indigestion. Didn't think much of it. However, shortly after we got home, my whole body started tingling and going numb. I broke out in a cold sweat and I felt extremely weak. I laid down on the floor 'cause I thought I might be involuntarily headed in that direction soon anyway. I yelled for Eileen who was downstairs, to call for an ambulance. She called the couple we were with (Bobby speaks perfect Mandarin, and we had just dropped them off so Eileen knew he would be up and available) and he made the "119" call (no that's not a typo: to call for emergency services in Taiwan, you dial 119, not 911). Both he and the ambulance arrived in less than 5 minutes.

I was scared for those few moments, and was praying fervently (as was Eileen) that I was not having a heart attack. I took some comfort in that I didn't feel any tightness or pain in my chest, and I seemed to be able to breathe okay (for the most part). With help from the ambulance attendants I was able to walk down the stairs and out to the proverbial "meat wagon". I noticed several of our neighbors had come out to see what the commotion was about. In no time we were off to the hospital. Eileen stayed with the kids and my friend Bobby came with me.

At the hospital they did some blood tests, a chest x-ray, and an ECG. They put me on an IV drip. It took about 45 minutes for them to get the results for the blood tests. The diagnosis?
HYPOKALEMIA, or low potassium levels in the blood (electrolyte imbalance). They put a second IV bag on, this time with a potassium supplement. Within 15 minutes I was feeling better. They discharged me at about 4:15 a.m.. Bobby and I took a taxi home.

The doctor couldn't say exactly why I had the attack. All of the research I've done on the internet since has given causes for the condition that don't seem to apply to me. He said I could possibly have another attack, or maybe never. He encouraged me to eat foods rich in potassium, which of course I am eager to do.

The more interesting part of this experience was spending a few hours in the emergency ward of a Taiwanese hospital. While there, I saw them bring in people with various other ailments. Bobby and I passed the time trying to diagnose each one by just observing them from across the room (not recommended if you're a medical professional). One woman seemed to be in some sort of respiratory distress, but apparently was doing alright till they tried to take blood. Much weeping and wailing ensued. Not a fan of being poked with needles, I assumed. Another fellow came in on a stretcher, in a somewhat delirious state. His wife was dressed to the nines, but dutifully wiped the vomit from his face whenever he threw up. He kept flailing his arms and legs around and at one point unintentionally kicked his wife. Apparently she lost patience and took a swipe at him with her arm. My diagnosis: excessive alcohol consumption with a side of "wife neglect".

At one point they also wheeled in a young gal that was very lethargic. Her boyfriend was by her side. They were close enough that Bobby could hear the doctor talking to them. Apparently she had taken over 40 sleeping pills in a suicide attempt. Guessing by the tattoos on her arms, Bobby figured she didn't have any parents, or had run away from home. When she came around after a bit, she started weeping bitterly, her boyfriend trying to comfort her as best he could. Bobby told me that the hospitals in Taiwan don't report suicide attempts to social services, so there would be no follow up, and she would probably just end up trying again.

My brief bout with Hypokalemia was a "momentary and light affliction" compared to what others endured that night (Bobby saw one guy come in with blood all over his chest, probably from a knife fight), but it did give me opportunity to see a part of life in Taiwan a tourist wouldn't normally see. The longer I live here the more I am witness to the crises and tragedy that visit so many Taiwanese families. I prayed for the young girl that had taken the overdose, and for all those that need the hope of a Saviour in this land.

1 comment:

Scott said...

wow... glad you are OK.