...personal blog about my experiences of living, raising a family, and serving as a messenger of the good news of Jesus Christ in Taiwan. Comments are always welcome.

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Where Have I Seen This Before?

Recently I noticed the following logo on the side of a Presbyterian church building here in Taiwan.

I immediately recognized that I had seen that logo someplace before, long ago. Anyone who has grown up, or currently lives in rural Manitoba should be able to recognize it as well (though it is not limited to that locale). I became familiar with it as the logo for the Swan Valley Credit Union (the logo can be seen at the bottom right corner of the following SVCU site). The SVCU, by the way, is where I opened my first ever savings account, at the tender age of 10.

I did a Google search and located other versions of the logo:

As you can see, these are all related to Credit Unions in various places of the world.  At first I thought I might have discovered a case of copyright infringement, for which Taiwan is famous. However, when I went into the church and asked someone about it, they did confirm that it was indeed a Credit Union, operated by the church.

It may seem like a small thing to blog about, but the Credit Union logo left an indelible impression on my mind in my younger years, and it was a pleasant surprise to find it close to home, half a world away. 

No comments: