...personal blog about my experiences of living, raising a family, and serving as a messenger of the good news of Jesus Christ in Taiwan. Comments are always welcome.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Motorcycle Nostalgia Leads to Spiritual Discussions

A couple weeks ago I went to meet a missionary friend at a local McDonald's for coffee.  He and I get together every week for mutual encouragement, accountability and prayer. As I parked my scooter out front, I noticed a motorcycle that was the same model that I had when I lived here 15 years ago. It was in good shape. As I was admiring it (and reminiscing), I sensed someone standing behind me. It was obviously the owner of the motorcycle, and I explained to him why I was looking at it.

Light conversation eventually led him to ask what I was doing in Taiwan. As soon as I said I was a Christian missionary, he said, "Wonderful! I have lots of questions about God I want to ask you."

He had a friend with him as well, so the four of us sat around the table, drinking coffee and discussing God. After about 45 minutes of this, a young Taiwanese gal at the next table leaned over and said, "Pardon me for listening in, but I have some questions about God and Christianity, too. Do you mind if I joined in?"

Since that meeting, we have met with the two gentleman further, and they have come to the Taiwanese church we attend. The older fellow (whose motorcycle I was admiring), especially seems to have a lot of spiritual questions and is seeking. The young gal we met the first day lives in a town nearby where a new church is starting, and she has been in touch with one of our coworkers there.

Sometimes God will bring people into your life that are seeking, and all you need to do is encourage and help guide along what the Holy Spirit is already doing in their hearts. Our prayer is that these three people will all find the Creator God and find the joy of His purpose for their lives.

No comments: